Monday, August 8, 2011

Restorative Forestry first post!

Well last time I tried this I wrote an entire page with general information about what this "Restorative Forestry" means to me. I could never get it to post, therefore I am not to optimistic about this effort.
But I will try again, as I came to a thought this last week while working in the woods with my apprentices that are now master Biological Woodsman.  Those MBWM are awesome and inspirational and I must give them credit for much of my motivation in life these days. Thanks HHFC members!

The thought I had was simply that "we have to come to the point where we know that a healthy living tree is more valuable than a dead one". A dead one meaning one in pieces and on a log truck heading toward a mill or even worse a container for shipment overseas to the highest bidder. The value of a highly productive growning tree is far more than is understood commonly. The ecological services of a forest are still being determined by some poorly funded research that doesn't have any forest products industry support as you might imagine. It nonetheless is the highest value a tree can have and that is what Restorative Forestry is all about.

More later, I have to write an article for the local paper about our filming of several Ax Men episodes over the last two weeks - just so our local community will know we are going to be on national and international TV. Back soon, let me know what you think if you read this and want me to write some more.

Best Regards, Blogger world...and elsewhere

Jason Rutledge
biological.woodsman@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, I'll look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pumped that you're blogging! I want to hear stories from the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well several years later I'm going to go back to trying this as a way of collecting writings to be compiled into a book at some point in the future. Please stay tuned, I'll be back. I am currently preparing to travel to Kentucky to participate in a steep ground logging seminar lead by Chad Miano and Ben Burgess on the Burgess Republic land in Russell Springs, Kentucky. More to come soon.

    ReplyDelete